If you’ve ever had a severe toothache, you’re familiar with feelings of immense discomfort! Determining the exact source of tooth pain can pose a challenge: Is the pain sharp or dull? Does it come and go, or is it consistent? Does it intensify in response to stimuli, like pressure or temperature? Above all, the most pressing question is: How do I find relief?
Causes of Toothache
Toothaches and dental pain stem from various factors, including:
- Tooth fracture
- Tooth decay
- Teeth grinding or bruxism
- Damaged fillings
- Severe sinus headache or congestion resulting from a cold or flu.
- Abscessed teeth (severely infected)
- Oral cysts
- Periodontitis (severe gum disease)
To determine the cause of your tooth pain, your dentist asks a series of questions, takes x-rays, and performs tests that diagnose your specific problem. If you’re experiencing dental pain, immediately make an appointment with our Palm Springs dental team. We are here to help!
If immediate access to a dentist is not possible, here are some suggestions to help alleviate toothache pain:
- Gently rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Use dental floss to carefully remove any particles or plaque lodged between your teeth.
- Apply a cold compress to the affected area by gently pressing it against your cheek.
- Switch to toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth and always use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, as directed.
Please remember that the suggestions above only offer temporary relief. It is important to get professional dental care as soon as possible. If you have a tendency to grind your teeth, consult with our Palm Springs dentist about a custom nightguard.
If Your Toothache Goes Away
Even if your toothache temporarily subsides, seek dental attention immediately! It is possible that the nerves causing the pain have died due to infection or damage, while the underlying issue persists. Therefore, regardless of whether your toothache feels resolved or not, contact us at the Tahquitz Dental Group! Our team is prepared to provide essential emergency dental care to relieve your toothache and address the source of the pain effectively.
Schedule an Emergency Appointment